Frequently Asked Questions About Cholesterol

Frequently Asked Questions About Cholesterol

Cholesterol is something everyone should be aware of when it comes to practicing healthy living. According to the American Health Association nearly 1 in 3 adults suffer from high cholesterol. So, we have compiled a list of some of the most frequently asked questions about Cholesterol. These Q & A’s should help you understand why having a good Cholesterol is good for your overall health.

What is Cholesterol?

Cholesterol is a waxy fat like substance that is produced by our bodies, and your liver helps produce about 75% of the cholesterol your body obtains over the years. The other 25% of the cholesterol your body obtains is from the food you ingest, and the type of diet you maintain. Cholesterol aids in the production of cell membranes, hormones, and vitamins.

What are good and Bad Cholesterols? HDL Vs. LDL.

According to the CDC, Cholesterol uses proteins called Lipoproteins to travel through the blood stream of the body.  There are two types of lipoproteins that cholesterol can choose from high density lipoproteins (HDL) which is know as the good cholesterol. Low Density Lipoproteins (LDL) is considered the bad cholesterol.  HDL is known to be the “good” cholesterol because they carry cholesterol from your blood to your liver to processed out of the body. LDL is considered the “bad” cholesterol because they can carry cholesterol away from your liver out into the body. When this happens, and the cholesterol is joined with fats it can cause your arteries to clog, which can cause heart attacks and strokes over time.

How does high cholesterol effect your body?

High cholesterol can cause plaque buildup along the inner walls of your arteries, ultimately causing blockage over time while restricting blood flow. When enough plaque accumulates in the coronary arteries, it may restrict the flow of blood trying to reach your heart which can cause heart attacks, strokes, and other heart disease. Once the plaque accumulates in the arteries and starts to break loose this can cause blood cloths. Once a blood clot is formed, this can interrupt the blood flow to both the heart and brain. Once the clot breaks loose and interrupts the blood flow to the brain and heart this is when heart disease can be a major factor of the longevity of your life. If the blood cloths make their way to your heart or brain it can ultimately end up causing death.

What is a healthy cholesterol range for adults over 65?

Adults over the age of 65 are more at risk for heart disease and high cholesterol. If you are experiencing issues that could relate to high cholesterol you should see your primary doctor to implement a schedule that will help you focus on specific goals to help lower your cholesterol. For most adults, the typical range covers the list below.

  • Blood cholesterol ranges should be at or below 200 mg/dL.
  • Low Density Lipoproteins (LDL) rage should be less than 100mg/dL
  • Rates for HDL differ for both men and woman. Woman should have a range of 50mg/dL ,while men should be 40mg/dL.

Prevention treatment is done on a case to case situation. You should seek guidance from your doctor on how to prevent heart disease.

These are just some of the most frequently asked questions about cholesterol. If you feel like these are some of the issues you are facing schedule an appointment with your doctor or home care provider.

For more information on how home health care can benefit you call the home health care providers at Gentle Sheppard for more information on how our services can help you!  Call (877) 311-6309 today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top