Ways to include seniors during the holidays
It’s universal, we all want the senior members of our families to be healthy and happy during the holiday season, and year-round! However, attending to senior loved ones around the holidays can be challenging and the coronavirus pandemic hasn’t made it easier. In fact, it may be nearly impossible for many seniors to go outside (or see loved ones in person) safely and comfortably.
Without extra holiday pre-planning, seniors can feel excluded, depressed, and lonely during the holidays. Prevent the holiday blues with the following senior care ideas to keep your beloved older relatives “in the festive loop” as you celebrate the upcoming holiday season.
How to Help Seniors Enjoy the Holiday Season with Family
Whether your senior loved ones live near or far, celebrate the holidays together with these tips:
- Use technology: Use an iPad or make video calls with your cell phone or laptop to bring seniors into your holiday celebrations. Most of the activities on our list can be done virtually via video calls or in-person. There are devices and services geared toward seniors who aren’t tech-savvy, like GrandPad and GenerationsOnline, which offers simple tutorials to help seniors go online with video calling. Zoom’s app is also easy to use, especially for those on the receiving side of the call, like your senior relatives.
- Have a holiday sing-along: Sing favorite holiday tunes together. Ask each family member to pick their top tune.
- Do holiday crafts: Have grandkids and seniors work on holiday crafts while “virtually” in the same room. Make holiday wreaths, decorate stockings, and even bake cookies with participation and video guidance from seniors.
- Walk down memory lane together: Go through old photos or home movies with seniors. Ask questions and let seniors share the stories that go along with the memorabilia. Keep the tone positive and watch for possible signs of depression in your senior relatives.
- Play games: Enjoy your favorite fun-but-simple board games and card games with seniors during the holidays.
- Maintain the human connection: If you’re not able to see your senior family members in person this season, consider asking a local home care agency professional to visit. The best senior living home care agencies have COVID-safe practices, endorsed by the CDC, in place to avoid any risk to your loved one, while providing companionship and help with daily tasks.
Where to Find the Best Senior In-Home Care in the Colorado Springs Area
When someone you love needs senior home care, turn to the trusted, locally-owned provider, Gentle Shepherd Home Care. We provide attentive care for seniors in their own homes, throughout Colorado Springs and the surrounding areas. Contact us today.